Monday, April 14, 2014

Confidence For the Teenage Years

Skylar is serving in the young men/scouts program at church and this past weekend we were asked to chaperone the stake youth dance. The theme for this dance was simply "decades" so we did our best to come up with something (which ended up being a little harder than we thought because it was still church dress). We went with 60's, figuring that would be the easiest.


Once we got there and the kids started showing up, we realized that it was one of the boys from our ward's first stake dance. I had Josh in my Sunday School class and I really love the kid, but I knew he was kind of....different....so I told Skylar we needed to encourage him to put himself out there and really experience his first dance. I had no idea Skylar would take that challenge and run with it!

Skylar marched across the gym, sat himself down right against Josh along the wall, and began his pep talk. After just a few songs, he somehow had gotten Josh out on the floor with everyone else doing the electric slide. It was so funny to watch this poor, terribly uncoordinated, horribly awkward 14 year old boy try to keep up with everyone else who seemed to know what they were doing, but apparently that was all he needed to break out of his shell. Josh danced every slow song with a different girl and several other fun songs after that! Periodically Skylar made the rounds to the other boys in our ward and got them going too.

I couldn't believe how comfortable he looked with all those gawky teenagers. It gave me a great sense of relief to know that when our time comes to get our teenage children out of their own way and live life, I've got a partner who's a natural at that sort of thing. I had no idea Skylar had that in him - or that it would come so naturally! Regardless of his supposed feelings toward EFY, he would have been a really great youth counselor.

Seriously though, the relief. Even if I feel like I'm going to screw up our teenagers, I've got Skylar to step in and help me out! Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment